Saturday, April 4, 2009

A little left and a whole lot of chemo

So we are home now and we found out that there is 2% of the tumor still left on her brain stem. It is a small little bit left that they would have had to scrap her brain stem to get it. We all can imagine how much damage that would have caused. So better safe than sorry. Now she is healing and when we move to California she will start chemotherapy and probably radiation there. The tumor is called ATRT, if you want the technical name you can just Google it and it will come up with the whole name. It is a very rare tumor, only 30 kids in the US get it each year. It is a very aggressive tumor and very hard to treat. There is a chance that our little Kahlan might not make it. The doctors are very optomistic though. Her chemo will be in 2 cycles to start. Each cycle is 21 days and there is a couple weeks of break in between. After that they will do some scans and then if need be more chemo or hopefully radiation. It is going to be a rough time for all of us but mostly for our little Kahlan.

8 comments:

Kaysie Adams said...

We will always keep all of you in our prayers. We love you guys and hope that all will work out for the best. You have a strong little girl. Lots of love from me and Timmy.

Jaymerz said...

Cariann I am so sorry, that sounds awful. I can't even begin to imagine how you are all feeling right now. I know that Heavenly Father is very mindful of you and your sweet little girl. She must be a very special spirit and it will all work out like it is supposed to. We will keep all of you in our prayers. We love you guys!!

Liz said...

I'm sorry Cariann, and I will keep you guys in my prayers. Stay strong for your baby girl and I know the Lord is mindful of you and will watch over her.

MegHaNE said...

I am not sure what to say, I couldnt imagine what you are your family are feeling. Im glad to hear that they got some of the tumor out and that they are feeling positive about the chemo! Im so sorry that she has to go through something like this at a young age. Keep us posted as treatment goes on. You and your family are in our prayers!

Megan said...

Cariann...So sorry I wasn't able to stop in and see you before you left. My thoughts and prayers are still with you. Rely on the Lord and he will help you get through this. What a special little girl that God has chosen to do some special work for him! We're here for you no matter what you need!

Jeannie said...

I am sorry to hear that you are in our prayers.. She is such a beautiful little girl..

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Cariann!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously crying for you now, I'm so sorry this is happening! The poor little sweetheart, I feel so sad she has to go through this! You guys are in my prayers and if you ever need to talk or vent or cry, call or email anytime!!! Love ya tons!!!

Seantae Jackson said...

I know what an amazingly strong woman you are, but also I know how wearing that can be. Please remember how much Christ loves you and that he can be strong when you cannot. You are amazing, and so is everyone in your family. She is looking great and you have so many prayers for you all every moment of every day.